While the ‘Great White North’ has not always been the most hospitable of locations for online gamers, recent legislative changes have created a flourishing iGaming market ripe for development. Canada is a great spot for iGaming these days, but how can players tell if they’re playing legally in their home province?
The Growth of iGaming in Canada
Gambling has always been a popular pastime with Canadians, but it wasn’t until 1989 that the first regulated land-based casino in the country opened its doors. Overall, Canada has reacted slower to the iGaming boom than some other nations, but that has changed in recent years. In April 2022, the province of Ontario became the first Canadian location to open its own regulated online gambling market. This has transformed the gaming landscape in the country, with players now having wider access to safe and quality game content than ever before. Whether you prefer playing online slots, poker, roulette, baccarat, blackjack, or live dealer games, the door is now open for play in the Great White North. With such a vast selection of offshore sites and newly established domestic platforms, it can take time to figure out where to start. Before you begin, ensure you’re legally eligible to play in your province.
Explore Canadian Online Casinos by Province
Under Section 207 of Canada’s federal Criminal Code, governments in Canadian provinces may exercise a degree of control over gaming within their jurisdictions. With the ability to both ‘conduct and manage’ gaming, we’ve seen more provincial governments set up their regulatory entities, known as Lottery Corporations. This means that the access to certain game types and regulated local iGaming sites could vary, depending on where you live in the country. This is particularly relevant for those who prefer to engage in real money gaming. To ensure access to some of the best online casinos in Canada, it is advisable to start with the top casino sites as rated by top10casinos.ca. This Canadian web portal rates and reviews the most reputable casino sites in the country, making it easy for you to find the perfect place to play. With top-notch security, a wide range of games, and generous bonuses and promotions, these casinos offer an unparalleled gaming experience.
Understanding the different regulations and nuances of casino gaming in each Canadian province is crucial to making informed decisions about where and how to play.Take a closer look at this breakdown of casino gaming in Canada by province:
- Alberta: Home to a population of 4.42 million people, Alberta is a hotspot for online casino gaming. While Alberta is home to 24 excellent land-based casinos, the state is also well-served by online casinos and iGaming platforms, with local favorites including Ruby Fortune, Jackpot City, and Spin Casino.
- Ontario: As the trial site of Canada’s first regulated online gambling market as of April 2022, Ontario is one of the best places in the country to find top-quality casino games from leading providers. ON-based players can access content with countless industry-leading casino sites such as LeoVegas and Red Dog Casino, as well as developing platforms run by local operators and regulated at a federal level.
- Nunavut: While a gambling market may open up soon, there are currently no licensed land-based casino operators or regulatory bodies in Nunavut. If you’re looking to play online casino games, offshore casino sites may be your best port of call – luckily, you should be able to access top platforms such as Gaming Club, Platinum Play, and All Slots Casino.
- British Columbia: Casino lovers based in BC have a wide range of casino platforms and game titles at their disposal, including 1200 free games as well as the top 20 mobile casino apps in the country. Top picks with local players in BC include Betway and Royal Vegas.
- Manitoba: Players in the state of Manitoba may access government-run casinos, online gaming platforms, VLTs, and lottery games. Popular online casinos in the state include Slots Magic and 7 Sultans Casino.
- Quebec: As the biggest province in the country, Quebec is a mecca for professional gamblers and home to a wide array of both online and land-based casinos. 250 of the gaming sites available to players in Quebec are managed and regulated by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, which is responsible for the Mohawk territory of Kahnawake.
- New Brunswick: With a relatively small population of fewer than 800,000 people, the state of New Brunswick is only home to two land-based casinos. Despite this, players in NB can access an impressive range of international online casinos, including 888 Casino and Jackpot City.
- Newfoundland and Labrador: While the province of N&L provides limited in-house gaming options for digital casino lovers and is not home to any land-based casinos, players can access top-quality online content with offshore sites like Bet365 and 888 Casino.
- Nova Scotia: Home to more than 2000 video lottery terminals and a diverse selection of land-based casinos, it’s also legal to gamble online in Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia is home to a thriving iGaming community that enjoys international play with some of the top casino sites in Canada, including Ruby Fortune, 7 Sultans Casino, and Casino.com.
- NW Territories: At present, there are no land-based casinos in the ‘frozen north’ of the NW Territories. However, players can make use of sports betting and lottery platforms as regulated by the local body. It’s also possible to access a delectable selection of offshore online casino sites, including Play Ojo, All Slots Casino, and Platinum Play up north.
- Prince Edward Island: Although Prince Edwards Island locals may gamble less than their peers in neighboring provinces, residents tend to prefer high-stakes gaming options like real money online poker and digital live dealer titles. PEI is currently home to two celebrated land-based venues, while online players can access a wealth of top game content from leading offshore sites such as Gaming Club, Yukon Gold, and Jackpot City.
- Yukon: Canada’s smallest province does not have many options in the way of local gambling, being home to just one land-based casino, which was the first established in the country. Luckily, gamers can legally play lotteries and scratch card games